Day 211 (Wednesday 8/06) - "Parad-island" & "Para-dive"

Wake up at 6am, as I have to take the bus at 6:35am in front of the hostel.

At 7:25am, a boat is coming to pick me up.
It's a boat from the company "Adrenalin". Today I'm going to dive again, at a site that is apparently in the top 10 of the best diving sites in the world : the SS Yongala Shipwreck !

On the boat, there's 3 crew members : a female instructor (really kind and friendly), the skipper (funny Ozzy guy), and the "boss"/captain (older and more seirous, but kind too). There's also 7 other divers than me : a girl from USA, 3 Australians from Perth, Byron Bay and Brisbane, a Dutch girl, and a Belgian guy (Vlaams from Turnhout) !

The boat is relatively small, and we're not many, it's perfect.

We have 3h before we get to the site, the sea is really calm, but due to the size of the boat, it moves a lot !






Once on site, and after a short briefing, and gear preparation, we go for our first dive.
We're diving in a group of 5, with the instructor, as she has to guide us there (as we don't know the site, we have to be guided for our first dives).

The boat is at about 27-29m deep, and inclined of a 55° angle.
We go from the rear of the boat to the front, back to the rear again.
The wildlife around it is unbelievable ...
It's fabulous.

During the dive, we'll see so many creatures (both in quantity and in diversity) : Lion Fish, Barracuda, Queensland Grouper, Giant Trivally (huge !!!), Coral Trout, Olive Sea Snake, Maori Wrasse, etc. etc.
Incredible.

After the dive we have a quick lunch (sandwiches), while we get to know more about the ship's history.

We then go for the second dive, this time we look at more specific details of it, like the bathrooms and toilets that can still be seen, the boilers for the steam engine, etc.

It's very special to see the remains of the boat, and all the life that hangs around it !

When coming back to the surface (with of course the safety stops at 10m and 5m), I see a jellyfish just next to me with its long tentacles !

Quite scary, as I don't know what type of jellyfish it is and if it's dangerous or not ... (I have to check)

After this second dive, we get back to Magnetic Island, after 3h sailing.
(we get lots of biscuits, crackers, fruits, sweets, etc. while waiting)

In the end it was a really good thing to do, it's really worth it !
(even if I would have loved to dive more, 2 dives are already good ! - a bit more than 1h in total)

Once back on Magnetic Island, I take the bus back to the hostel, and when getting there I meet a new roommate : a Israelian guy, really cool (forgot his name).




After my shower, and a bit of Internet in the common area, the Israelian guy comes to me and asks me if I want a beer.
I don't have time to answer that he says, "Yes, you want a beer".
We stay there for a few beers, and for dinner (beef vindaloo).
He's really cool and funny.
(he's travelling here with some friends but they split for a few days, he's working as a cook in Israel)

After a while we go back to room, and sit in front of the door, watching the stars and the funny birds hanging around us. So funny.

He also gets some food from his bag : some Camembert with grapes (luxury !!), as well as a nut mix and some chocolate bars.

Wow ... The best munchies I had since in Oz !
(he's so kind, offering me so much, just to share - he's happy not to be alone ...)

After that we go to sleep.

Again, it was an amazing day in Paradise ...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire