Day 197 (Wednesday 25/05) - First day in Cairns !

Wake up at 3:30am ... (ouch!)

I checkout then wait for the Airport Shuttle to come.
The shuttle gets there a bit late, and the driver asks me quite agressively for a ticket.
That I don't have ...
I explain him that I didn't receive any, he of course doesn't believe me.
I tell him that I went to the Office yesterday, that the guy was at the telephone when serving me, so was probably distracted and didn't gave me any ticket.
But he still asked for my name, wrote it in his calendar, and apparently warn the shuttle to get to the hostel to pick me up today ... (else the shuttle wouldn't be here as I'm the only one from this hostel).
But the driver don't want to know anything and starts getting nervous, telling me that I don't have to explain him anything or giving him answers.
"No ticket, no transport !"
After insisting a bit, and seeing that he's a fat frustrated bastard, I finally pay again for the shuttle ... (don't want to miss my plane !)
This guy is really unfriendly, and shouldn't do this job, he's probably the worse guy I've seen in Australia ...
(I'm thinking of writing a mail to the company to explain the case, but I'm almost sure it's pointless and not worthy)

Anyway, I get in the shuttle (a bit grumpy), and get to the airport.

Once at the airport, everything goes well (check-in, luggage drop, etc.).
While waiting for the boarding, a I talk with an old Kiwi guy, a really nice guy living in Auckland.

When getting in the plane, I realise my seat is 1C, which means I'm in the first row !
Never had this, it's really nice, I have so much room for my legs (~2m) ... Nice !

The flight goes really well, nothing special to say (slept almost all the time).
(not sure how long it lasted, I'd say around 2 hours.


Once in Cairns, I take the shuttle (with a ticket this time !) to get to the centre, and ask to get dropped at the Gilligan's, the hostel where I plan to stay (not booked, but Charlotte from NZ and some other people told me it was a really good hostel).

They have available beds, so I check-in, but have to wait 2pm to get to my room (I can leave the luggages in the luggage room).

As I have time, I go a bit to the information centre, to see what there is to do and see in Queensland (a lot !!! - even if I know more or less all about it).

I then go for a walk in the city, mainly around the waterfront (The Esplanade and The Lagoon), which are really nice.














After a while, I go quickly to buy some food and go to a park to eat some sandwiches ("hier j'ai mangé une pomme" ;-) ).

I can then go back to the hostel and go to my room.
It's an 8 beds dorm, but there's only 1 guy in the room (not there when I get in, but I will see him later : Damien from Switzerland - German speaking)
The room is pretty good, with private bathroom and balcony !

Afterwards I go out again, for another walk.
While walking, I text Giulia (the Swiss girl from the Kakadu tour), as I know she's in Cairns too : we will go for a drink tonight.

This time I go in the streets, and in the different souvenirs shops (I really want to find this necklace again ! - but can't find it ...).

I get back to the hostel and take a shower, before going out to eat something.


I find a interesting food court, where all the restaurants offer a self service (choose a plate size and put as much as you can in it from various dishes).


I go for Chinese food, pretty good (& of course cheap).

I then go next door to the "Night Markets", where there are lot of stands selling crafts and souvenirs ...

And there, I find ... the necklace ! Finally !
(and it's like 3 times less expensive than where I bought it initially ! - it doesn't have the same meaning as the first one, that I had bought in the Koala's Hospital, but it's the same, so it's cool)

After that I go back to the hostel and read brochures and updating this blog while waiting for Giulia to text me (she should be there around 9-10pm).

Around 9:30pm she calls me to tell me that she's on her way and will soon be there (she's at a hostel far far away and has to take a bus to get here).
(oh, and btw there are 3 new girls in my room, but we didn't really have time to talk)

I go at the reception to meet her, and we then get back in the hostel in another room where she knows some people she met in Darwin.

We stay there for a bit, meeting some new funny people (some Germans, some Ducthies and a Frenchie).

Giulia leaves quite early, as she is tired, has to catch the last bus if she doesn't want to take the taxi, and needs to wake up at 7am tomorrow to go skydiving !

I walk with her to the bus stop, we talk a bit, and plan to see each other tomorrow to go out (should be a big party at my hostel).
(btw, the hostel where I stay is apparently the biggest one in Australia ... It's huge, 500 beds, big swimming pool, big bar, 2 club rooms, a few pool tables, concert hall, big screens, etc etc ...)
I then go back to the hostel, chill a bit in the room, then go to sleep.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire